Wednesday, April 16, 2008

um...Books

I realized looking over my posts, that I haven't written much really about books or being a bookseller. Considering that this blog is called "The Book Queen" I thought I should say something. I should probably start by telling those of you who don't know that owning a bookstore has been a life-long dream of mine. I have an intimate relationship with books. They saved my life in my childhood and have added richness and depth to who I am. There is something so tactile about books too. I love the feel, especially of old books. The paper, the soft worn leather of an old binding. The smell, the collective smell of the bookstore is heaven to me. I like that everyday I am surrounded by resources and if I have any questions I can answer them. Yes I know that people with access to computers feel this way too, but I am sure it is different. Looking at a picture in an art book is a different experience than looking at in on the computer. Sometimes being surrounded by this wealth of knowledge is overwhelming. I don't know what to read next, or I think I should read something because it will be good for me, or add to my knowledge in general. I also have lots of people telling me that I should read different books and I do try to indulge my regulars.

I am lucky in that I am a very fast reader. I definitely comprehend differently when I put the speed on, but I can read fiction quickly. For example I read Harry Potter #7 in one 24 hour period. This is not tooting my own horn, I am grateful that this is the case. There is really so little time and so much to read.

I am currently reading/have just read:
Otherspace by David Stahler
The Teammates by David Halberstam
The Three Kingdoms
The Rule of Four

I am trying to focus my brain on reading about China so if anyone has any suggestions about interesting books on Chinese history, have at it.

2 comments:

- A - C - said...

Although I am a much less avid reader as you are, I do share the same sympathy for books, particularly the feeling of being surrounded by them. I feel like I can touch them as if through an osmosis process.
As for leaving comments on blogs, I think it is due to the (improper) impression we should write something cool or funny.

Last comment: China. You may already have read it, but I suggest the "Tao Te Ching". Not exactly fiction though... have fun.
A.

David said...

I like your recent reading list!

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory