Friday, April 11, 2008

Inner Quiet

The bookstore is often a place of quiet. It occasionally, too, is a place of bustle. Most often quiet these days. April is a slow month, the weather is getting warmer, sunnier, muddier; things we forgot about in December are melting out of the snow and need to be tended to. People aren't feeling the urge to snug down with a good book, they (we) are bursting out of our winter cocoons and living. The quiet here leads to things like rug-shaking and walks across the street for coffee or the occasional ice-cream. (What a life, what a blessed life!)

My struggle obviously isn't for outer quiet. I am in quest of inner quiet, not peace, but quiet (I think an important distinction). My ego so often gets in the way of just being. I think life would be easier if I could just be. I fight a battle against believing I know what others are thinking, judging others, and second-guessing myself. I often wonder if other people face this too. (If you read this and face these challenges let me know it would be helpful.) I want an inner life ruled by empathy and compassion for myself as well as others (although I do think there is a lot of ego involved in empathy and compassion.) Tai Chi does help...sometimes I am able to focus on my body and energy and let go...doing Tai Chi makes me believe the struggle will have a resolution and I will win.

No comments:

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory