Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Business/Cha-Ching

Sometimes owning and running a business is difficult stuff. I get tired of trying to do all the financial stuff on my own. Sometimes I feel very alone. One of the difficulties is that in this American culture talking about money is quite taboo. I talk about my finances with people often and sometimes I feel that they are looking at me askance, but I have nothing to hide and I don't really think it is important enough to keep private.

Why all this privacy about money matters, why can't we just be candid? We all use money, earn it, inherit it, spend it...but there is so much shame, grief, and envy linked to it. Mostly these feelings come up when we don't have it. When I look at reality, really look at my world and what is important in it, I find that money isn't one of those things, but I worry about it a lot.

It is said that money is the root of all evil, I am more inclined to think that it is human reaction to money that is at the root. If we have it we are afraid someone will take it away from us or we are ashamed that we have so much. If we don't have it we want it and feel angry and jealous when others have it. What yucky feelings.

I hope for a world in which everyone can have enough. I know it sounds naive, but I do have that hope. We could give up all of the ill will generated by money, imagine how much happier we would be.

1 comment:

- A - C - said...

so very true. Not money nor any other "tools" are evil in themselves. They are neutral at most. It is our intent that stain a thing otherwise harmless.
A knife can both slice bread and cut throats, guess who's to be blamed.

take care.
A.

P.S. this argument is often used to say science is evil. how far from the truth...

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory