Monday, May 5, 2008

Significance


I went to a Re-evaluation Counseling workshop this weekend. (For more information on Re-evaluation Counseling click the link below.) Here is a piece of information/theory that I received.

It is important for human beings to know their own significance. When we doubt our significance we not only make it hard for ourselves, but we make it really hard for other people. When someone tells me I matter to them, by doubting them because I don't believe it possible to be significant, I demean them and their caring for me. Perhaps no one else in the world doubts their significance, but I certainly do doubt my own. This information makes it easier for me to work in the direction of knowing my own significance, to other people, as a human being. I've got a lot of work to do in this direction, but this knowledge is a beginning.

It is amazing how bad most people feel about themselves all the time. The reality is that we are all born good, we make mistakes, but essentially we are good.

I've also noticed that most people feel lonely most of the time. The reality there is that we are not alone, never have to be alone, and in fact are all connected as human beings, just by the virtue of being alive. (Pretty sweet theory huh?)

When you read this, take a shot at feeling good, not necessarily good about yourself, just good. And know that there is one human being out here that you have connected with and who you are important to.

http://www.rc.org/

3 comments:

- A - C - said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
- A - C - said...

Yes, we are all so very connected, and each day even more so. This connection can take many shapes, it's both subtle and plain.
As for the significance, we may be small but we are definitely not worthless...

http://thedustylens.blogspot.com/2008/03/small.html

Forgive my referencing to my post. It is not meant to be self indulging, I simply thought it to be appropriate.

Have a very nice day.
A.

tgl43 said...

Ugh I hear you. I spend 90% of my time with two people under the age of 3! On one hand I love it on the other I get sick and tired of hearing the little cherub cry "At me Mumma" which deciphered means look at me I am doing something silly!
I think I need to get out more and have more adult conversation. I will work on my hubby about me getting out more, yeha!
:)
T

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory