Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The End of the World as We Know It???

I am experiencing an underlying low level anxiety in my day to day life right now. It is all about money and what is happening here in the U.S with our economy. In a way I believe that this is the beginning of the end of capitalism. For this I should cheer!! However, as a business owner it also entails a lot of stress.

There are many good reasons why capitalism needs to come to an end and whatever needs to come next (hopefully something better, please. So far us white people don't have a great track record...) needs to come next. It is the transition that is difficult. I am willing to live through a revolution, but I'm also terrified of losing everything and everyone I have. I don't know if this will happen in my life time, but it is beginning to look more and more possible.

I just keep telling myself people will always need books. Especially as our communication systems break down and our lives become smaller. People won't travel as much, everything is already getting more and more expensive. A nice night at home with a cheap used book will probably start sounding pretty good to people. In addition to this books are good resources for all of the things we are going to need to learn how to do, preserving food, making clothing, making alternative energy sources, etc. I could probably have a nice little barter/trade shop.

Ah...the possibilities.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I don't know if you've ever read anything by Alessandro Baricco, but he thinks, too, we are living a "transition era". I don't know if it is true, and what we are supposed to do...
...but probably keep reading books is a great idea!

Kale Girl said...

you may want to watch the 11th hours. Its a great movie about climate change the capitalism.

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory