Friday, May 2, 2008

My Sister

My sister is three years older than I am. Tomorrow is her birthday. I will not be able to be there because I am going to a weekend long workshop.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a sibling and not be closely connected. I often hear people talk about having brothers and sisters that they don't like or get along with; as far as I am concerned, my sister is one of the most important people in my life.

As the younger child I looked up to her and learned from her from the very beginning. Although I don't remember this I can observe it in other young children I know now. I am blessed with having a 5 year old and a 2 and1/2 year old in my life. I am very close to them and I am learning a lot about my relationship with my sister from watching them.

My sister has lived her life to the fullest. She is adventuresome in a way that I am not, but so long to be. She takes risks all the time and is very brave. In many ways she has always been my hero. We were not always so close, when we were young she lived with our father and I lived with our mother, we did not even see/communicate for years. Then she came after me. She refused to allow me to isolate myself and through her my life has become what it is, full, rich, vibrant. I would not be the person I am today if it wasn't for her.

She doesn't always remember to notice how really great she is, but I will always keep noticing for her and reminding her.
Happy Birthday.

4 comments:

J. said...

That's a lovely sentiment.

Tres said...

What can I say to that. I am blessed to have you in my life.

Claudia said...

moving... Probably because I have a sister and I understand what you say! I cannot understand those who complain about their brother or sister, You're not alone, that could be enough to be happy for.

Tres said...

I have to say the picture of me id HORRID, I love you sis but couldn't you for found a better one of me?
Love you, hope the Workshop is KICK ASS!!

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory