Monday, July 28, 2008

Beginning





(These pictures are unrelated to the following information. I just wanted to put them up.)



I think I found a way to begin changing the world. On July 19th I backed into someone while parallel parking. I scratched the bumper of the Saab behind me. I left a note, which someone told me not to...said it was setting myself up for a world of trouble (hey I'm paraphrasing okay?). I left the note. The guy called, I gave him the information. He was nice, I was nice. Actually I really like him and we got to talking for quite some time...what he does what I do, small business owners chit chat.

I got a call from the insurance company today. I explained what happened. The guy at the insurance company said I was a good person for leaving the note. He said if someone hit him at work no one would leave a note...

Then it happened I changed the world.

I said "Would you leave a note?"

He paused..."um..."

Maybe now he will think twice and leave the note. Maybe he will notice that the owner of the car he hit is a person. A living breathing entity, with thoughts, and FEELINGS. That we live in a world filled with people, not problems. Maybe he will get to talk to the person he hits, exchange life notes, make a connection. Similar to the connection I made with him.

I thought today I would write about community. About how important it is to me. I didn't think it would be about the car accident. In the course of rereading I realize I did write about community.

Interesting that.

5 comments:

J. said...

I left a note about ten years ago, Book Queen, and I was very, very glad that I did. It turned out to be a broke college student on his way through town. And he was a very nice guy who didn't even want to call insurance until I made him do it. My insurance paid him $400 for the ding, which apparently he needed for more pressing things.

Perhaps there is a way to start a movement to get more people to leave notes.

Kale Girl said...

YOU WERE RIGHT !!

Kale Girl said...

Hey were are you, I miss reading. T

shadows and clouds said...

hello there, i've been absent from blogland for quite some time. i just read your post here, it really heartened me. you rock for having done that! i just realised you've been away from blogland for quite some time too, 'hope you're having fun.

J. said...

Where art thou, Book Queen?

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory