Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Luck


Luck as defined by the American Heritage dictionary :
"1. The chance happening of good or bad events; fortune. 2. Good fortune; success.> v. to gain success or something desirable by chance."

For a long time now I have felt that I am an extremely lucky person. I am generally not superstitious, but it seems that many, many good things have come my way through no doing of my own. For example: I win things. Raffles, scratch-off tickets, fair games. I get itchy palms just before my luck kicks in...

But I worry. I thought that this luck was payback for some awful things that happened in my life when I was younger, now it seems the pendulum is swinging the other way, I have been happy and content for a long time, I live a blessedly tragedy free life. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, for tragedy to strike, I would give up luck if it meant not having to worry.

My luck started at birth. Being born into a community where strife is not a daily issue. Being born into a country that is rich in resource. Being born.

I am grateful for all I have...and it is good to acknowledge that there is another side to this as well. Perhaps what I view as "luck", perhaps it is just possible that I was the impetus behind the good fortune in my life. Perhaps by caring about people, by being kind to others and the environment, by not asking for more than what is my lot in life, perhaps these things played a role in my luck.

This view point does not imply that those who are not so lucky have done anything to deserve it.

So...I will continue to be thankful, to try to be kind t0 people, to love, to simplify my life so it doesn't impact others in a negative way, to reach out to those in need. This is how I pray.

5 comments:

Tres said...

I used to think that way too about the other shoe dropping, now I think that the "luck", I think that I am also a lucky person, is the way it should be for all people. There is no OTHER SHOE!!
Love you. T

Tres said...

I want to come and knit at the book store too. I so wish we lived closer. T

- A - C - said...

Very deep, BQ. I am wondering whether there luck isn't simply a human perception, whereas events flow without any specific intention but to make us learn and understand...

greetings from Australia
A.

tgl43 said...

You are again in my head... get out now! Just kidding cant wait to see you!
Love the other T

Anonymous said...

Great work!
I hope you can keep up with the best!!

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory