Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The path of least resistance to pure existance

A customer, and might I say friend, came in yesterday. He is truly working to achieve enlightenment and is forging his path through studying, meditation, yoga etc. His young son recently went off to college and he is now alone. He feels concentrated on his objective. I pointed out to him that he doesn't have much contact with other folks, but he says he does. Visiting in the post office and bookstore, etc.

He is very clear.

I, however, am not. Yes, I am caught up in judgement, this election is terrifying to me, but I do think that pure existence must include some kind of love of others. I can tell that I don't actually need other people, I could exist without them and probably be relatively happy. But I want connection, I yearn toward it, I really like other people. Each of us need to find our way to enlightenment individually I guess, what works for one is not always so for another. In many ways I long for less attachment, but I think of those attachments as being to material things not humans.

I keep thinking about "enlightenment" which isn't even defined here. What is it actually? Can we achieve true enlightenment by isolation? Is that real? There are so many questions.

2 comments:

- A - C - said...

There are uncountable paths leading to the top of the mountain, as the roots lead water and nutrients to a tree. But although they are uncountable, there are still many more paths which do not lead us anywhere.
Isolation is sometimes cited among the many experiences of a seeker, but it is not necessarily a good one.
Some say that each path is wrong as long as you deem it necessary to follow it, for it binds you. Yet not moving is also undesirable.

The "non-action" described in the Tao-Te-Ching is one interpretation I find particularly interesting.

merry reading
A.

Anonymous said...

As one travels the path of enlightenment to achieve awareness, remember to allow all of your actions to flow from love. Your path will be shortened considerably. Remember also, ascention is a distraction if you are distracted from love, the purest of thoughts.

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory