Thursday, September 25, 2008

All Politics is Personal



The election is fast approaching.

I, and many people I know, am terrified. I don't know how we will continue in this country if we don't have a big change. I don't want to preach my political views here, I just want to write about how I am feeling, which in a nutshell is scared.

A very good friend feels differently about this situation and it has been hard for me to take. We have decided to "agree to disagree" but this too is very hard for me. I feel like some education is needed (I'm sure she feels the same way). I don't want to force my opinion on her, but I don't understand how an educated intelligent woman can feel the way she does. It is frustrating and inevitably leads to more of those scary feelings.

The one and only answer that I can devise is that we as Americans and as humans need each other. We need to share with each other despite our differences. We need to hold each other, laugh together, notice each other, cry together. Men, women, black, white, able, disabled, old, young, Catholics, Jews, Muslums, Christians...the list goes on and on....mostly just humans. There is so much we can do united, and so much holding us apart.

There is no way I would let a difference of opinions shape the way I feel about my friend. We are close and will continue to be so. We need to overcome fear and isolation if any change is going to happen. The divisiveness of this election is the opposite of the direction we should head in.

This much I know is true.

4 comments:

Kale Girl said...

your post made me cry

Claudia said...

My best friend and I decided not to talk about politics when we became old enough to vote. It is possible to have different opinions, and it is fair when anybody can express their own...

I was very worried too about Italian election, and after that I'm still worried for my country... I can perfectly understrand how you feel..

- A - C - said...

These are difficult times. We can only hope for a better future and work for it, learn, educate and set the example.

a big hug
A.

tgl43 said...

I love you!
;)

The Store

The Store
in all it's glory